There are some excellent Balkan hostels, and hostelling around this part of Europe is a great choice, as we discovered in 2013.
Award-winning travel stories
Your hosts Craig and Linda Martin have been travelling since February 2006. They scour the world for travel stories, tips and interviews to help you travel well.
Five weeks after leaving our temporary home in Spain, we’ve already taken part in a wine-throwing festival, walked 300km, and spent time in beer gardens all over Berlin.
Riga’s the biggest city in the Baltics, the most-vibrant city, and the place with the best nightlife. In English-speaking Europe, the capital of Latvia is also known as the stag- and hen-party capital of the region.
Auckland’s a great city that deserves its high quality of living rating. It’s definitely worth spending a few days in when you’re in New Zealand.
The Camino Primitivo is our favourite Way of Saint James so far. If you’re planning to do a Camino de Santiago, we recommend this one — but do a bit of preparation before you go!
- Is indie travel right for me?
- How to celebrate the Haro Wine Fight
- Travel diary: nine days in Prague
- How to see Berlin in a day podcast
- Lithuania in ten great Instagram photos
- Four things I learned hostelling around the Balkans
- Travel diary: homeless once again
- Riga and Rundale: the Latvia podcast
- Auckland rocks: why you should visit our home town
- The Camino Primitivo podcast
- Tasting Spain on the best Madrid Food Tour ever
- Taking the road (slightly) less traveled in Hawaii
- Eating and Exploring Testaccio, Rome | Eating Italy tour review
- Where to stay? Rentrooms Thessaloniki
- Travel hack your way around the world
- Staying charged with RAV Power for travellers
- Blues BB, Rome, Italy
- Tuscan Farmhouse Experience with Walks of Italy
- Tastes of Thessaloniki food tour with Urban Adventures
- Urban Hostel, Skopje, Macedonia