Beth Whitman is a long-term traveller and now the owner of Wanderlust and Lipstick: her own travel publishing brand and a tour company. We were interested to figure out why a writer who promotes independent travel came to start running tours and also her specialist tips for women travelling solo.
This interview is not just for the ladies — Beth’s tips are have great practical application for single guys and couples too. It’s also motivational, inspiring you to set out on your trip or pursue your goal of funding long-term travel.
We speak about:
- Beth, her travels and her publishing company.
- Myths about women travelling on their own.
- How to research and be confident.
- Why packing light and abandoning most electronics is so important.
- If publishing travel writing can keep you funded for travel.
- Tours vs solo travel, or tours as a warm-up for independent travel.
- Tours to Bhutan and India.
Beth Whitman is the author of Wanderlust and Lipstick: for women traveling solo, Wanderlust and Lipstick: for women traveling to India and the publisher of Wanderlust and Lipstick: for women travelling with kids by Michelle Duffy and Leslie Forsberg. Reviews are imminent!
The Rough Guides competition has drawn to a close. Congrats to our winners Ben, Alan and Mark. All guys! What’s with that?
Photographs supplied by Beth Whitman.