The week was neatly split in two; we spent the first half hanging out with our Austrian visitor Sabine, and the second half frantically trying to finish off the books we’re working on. And of course, we caught a bit of the Olympics.

Monday 6/8: After a morning of ITP work, we had lentils for lunch and headed out for a walk around A Coruna’s old town, which Sabine hadn’t seen yet. The second phase of the synchronised swimming was on when we got back, so we watched a little — but were disappointed by the silliness levels, which seemed lower than the day before.

Craig and I recorded the podcast and then I had to head across town for my evening class, after which we introduced Sabine to the wonders of South American cuisine — she liked pebre best.

Panorama from the old town gardens

Tuesday 7/8: Since my boss had found me a whole lot more students to teach, I had a busy day at school — luckily with a nice long break for lunch. We made the most of it, introducing Sabine to Galician-style pulpo at our favourite pulpeira before walking around the cost to the menhirs.


When I got back from my last class, we had a simple dinner and watched an episode of the Supersizers before bed.

Pohutukawa flowers in A Coruna.

Wednesday 8/8: Sabine had to catch a train to the airport at 2pm, so we had one last morning with her. We decided to head down to the beach, and took Monopoly Deal and Phase 10 with us to play while we enjoyed the sun.

Somehow, though, we mistimed operations — I went home to prepare lunch and the others came back later than I’d expected, which meant that we had to eat quickly if Sabine wanted to catch her train. Although there were a few minute of stress while she gathered her things, we managed to get out of the house in time for the bus she needed to take to get to the station. Craig accompanied her and saw her onto the train; I stayed behind to clean the house.

We were both feeling lazy in the afternoon, but we got a bit of work done at least. In the evening we booked tickets from Portugal to Germany — one leg of our exciting post-Coruna trip!

Thursday 9/8: Thursdays are my crazy days for teaching — today I had eight hours of contact time between 9am and 10pm. After the first four hours I wasn’t feeling too keen to cook, so we had lunch at the Rectorado and watched one of the tall ships arrive for the Tall Ships festival that’s on this weekend.

Concert on Riazor Beach.

I had a few errands to do before heading back to work; two-and-a-half hours in the school near my house followed by my last class ever on the other side of town! I’d just missed the bus when I left the school, so I decided to walk back along the beach — there was a free concert being held at one end of it. Sadly, when I arrived the first band was just packing up, so I decided to go home. Halfway there, I ran into Oliva, Guille, and Laura, who convinced me to turn around and go back to the concert with them.

The company was nice as always but the music wasn’t anything exciting; Laura and I decided to walk home together and leave Oliva and Guille to wait for the headline act.

Friday 10/8: I don’t have any scheduled classes on Fridays but that doesn’t mean I don’t have to work! I got an hour of editing done before heading out with Craig to Siboney café, where we buy our ground coffee. We took the opportunity to have a coffee and a snack, and I headed to the bank to activate my bank card, since my attempts to do it over the phone and in a different branch of the same bank had failed.

One of the tall ships.

After lunch at home we headed to the beach for an hour or so, then sat down together to line-edit one of the books we’re working on. We were so caught up in it that we spent the entire evening working, and declined Oliva’s offer to go out for tapas and check out the tall ships. What a fun Friday night!

Saturday 11/8: After a bit of a sleep in, we pretty much just worked all day. We only left the house at about 8pm, when Craig went to the bakery to buy bread for dinner, and I met up with Oliva, Guille, Alba, and Oliva’s cousin and his girlfriend who are here from Madrid.

We wandered around the port checking out the tall ships, then had tapas at La Bombilla and drinks at Dux — which has a nice terrace overlooking the port. They were still going strong but I bowed out at about 1.15am and walked home.

Of course, we had to take some photos…

Sunday 12/8: Another lazy day. I’d planned to head back to the port to see the airshow but just couldn’t gather the energy. Instead, we both spent the morning lazing in bed, reading or playing games, and finally left the house at about 2.30pm to find lunch of kebabs with a side of rhythmic gymnastics.

After lunch, I spent the afternoon trying to find times and prices for our post-Coruna trip — it was a successful but tiring search. Afterwards we watched the Olympics closing ceremony, which was awesome but somewhat marred by the Spanish commentators talking over the top of everything.

Your thoughts on "Travel diary: Life goes on in A Coruna"

Would you like to leave a comment?