For as long as I can remember, I’ve been the kind of person who finds it hard to go anywhere without music. Commuting to and from work, whether by public transport or whilst driving, the songs blasting out have always made the trip more bearable and more enjoyable.
As I now travel from city to city, spending countless hours on the train, bus, or plane, I have found myself with a regular playlist of songs which I listen to as a ritual before every trip. Undoubtedly there is a song for every occasion. Movies have music soundtracks to accompany them in order to help intensify emotions and enhance meaning to particular scenes. Why shouldn’t your travels have one too?
As one stands on yet another train platform waiting, there is nothing like listening to Bon Jovi scream ‘It’s now or never!’ to make even the dullest wait whiz by. Perhaps these songs remind you of why you were there in the first place. Perhaps, if you struggle with homesickness, listening to a song makes it easier to deal with.
So, in alphabetical order, I would like to share the following 40 songs, my personal sensory delights, to feed your ears and soul as you travel.
1. Across The Universe — The Beatles
2. Beautiful day — U2
3. Bitter Sweet Symphony — The Verve
4. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams — Green Day
5. Can’t Stop — Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Dancing In The Moonlight — Toploader
7. Elevation — U2
8. Enjoy The Ride — Morcheeba
9. Feel Good Inc. — Gorrilaz
10. Forever Young — Youth Group
11. From Paris To Berlin — Infernal
12. Go It Alone — Beck
13. Half The World Away — Oasis
14. Hip Hip Hooray — Sneaky Sound System
15. Hitchin’ A Ride — Green Day
16. Holiday — Jet
17. Hotel California — The Eagles
18. I Just Wanna Live — Good Charlotte
19. I’m Yours — Jason Mraz
21. It’s My Life — Bon Jovi
22. Leaving On A Jet Plane — Chantal Kreviazuk
23. Live Forever — Oasis
24. Lose Yourself — Eminem
25. Minority — Green Day
26. New Soul — Yael Naim
27. Neverending Story — Limahl
28. Paradise City — Guns N Roses
29. Road Trippin’ — Red Hot Chili Peppers
30. Sitting With A Stranger — Lior
31. Smells Like Teen Spirit — Nirvana
32. Summertime — DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince
33. The Great Beyond — REM
34. The Last High — The Dandy Warhols
35. The Story — Brandi Carlisle
36. Time Of Your Life — Green Day
37. Tonight, tonight — Smashing Pumpkins
38. Under The Bridge — Red Hot Chili Peppers
39. Whatever — Oasis
40. Where It’s At — Beck
Create a manifesto for your journey, and compile some of your favourite songs to help you keep going. Feel free to use my favorites – all I ask is that you don’t judge me for my taste in music!
If the music doesn’t do it for you, try Audible free for 30 days and get a FREE AUDIOBOOK today.